from our stores locally
DELIVERED & INSTALLED
5 Days a week
on big name brands
All the Latest in appliance news, promotions and updates from Harrap Limited
Washing Machines Buying Guide - Washing Machines, Washer Dryers, Tumble Dryers
Deciding what type of washing machine you need in your home is important; choosing one that doesn’t hold all your family’s washing or doesn’t fit in the space you wanted it to in your home can make doing the washing far more difficult than it should be.
To throw another choice into the mix, is the decision to have a tumble dryer or not, or a washer dryer. Our helpful Washing Buying Guide will iron out any queries and uncertainties that you may have when it comes to buying your new washing machine, tumble dryer or washer dryer.
- Vented - a vented tumble dryers work by extracting the damp air that is produced during the drying process, and then discharge it through a 2m plastic hose which prevents condensation. The hose will require a window or door to dispose of the damp air.
- Top loading -A top loading washing machine can hold larger loads with it’s larger capacity but this does mean it requires more space and cannot have items put on top of it as this will cover the entrance hole.
- Vented -a vented tumble dryers work by extracting the damp air that is produced during the drying process, and then discharge it through a 2m plastic hose which prevents condensation. The hose will require a window or door to dispose of the damp air.
- Condenser -A condenser tumble dryer works similarly to a vented tumble dryer, however it collects the damp air in the form of water which then needs to be manually emptied after drying. Some machines can dispose of the water automatically, if they are plumbed. It can be installed in any room with good ventilation.
- Heat Pump -A heat pump tumble dryer performs quieter and more efficiently than a vented or condenser tumble dryer due to it using a lower drying temperature. It also recirculates the warm air instead of discarding it to lower amount of energy used.
A washer dryer is perfect if you are space saving or do not have the room for both a washing machine and a tumble dryer. They are more beneficial if you have a smaller family and cannot warrant purchasing both a washing machine and a tumble dryer. However, if you have a larger family may struggle with the inability to have a wash and a dry going on simultaneously.
- Integrated -Integrated washing machines, tumble dryers and washer dryers are especially useful if you are conscious of your house’s appearance as they are able to be hidden within cupboards for a tidier looking kitchen. They also allow for extra room if you are low on space.
- Freestanding -Freestanding washing machines, tumble dryers and washer dryers give you the freedom to put your appliance wherever you want within your home (subject to water supply source)
Washing machine, washer dryer and tumble dryer speeds range from 1000 to 1600 rpm (revolutions per minute). The faster washing spin speed, the more water that is extracted from the wash load, meaning less drying time is required. The faster the drying spin speed, the more moisture that is extracted from your clothes in a shorter amount of time; leaving them dryer after a shorter cycle.
The capacity of your washing machine, tumble dryer and washer dryer will determine how much you can wash in one go; a larger drum capacity, a larger load of washing.
As a rough guide, 1kg is one outfit.
5kg - 6kg is suitable for 1-2 people
7kg - 8kg is suitable for 3-4 people
9kg - 10kg is suitable for 4-5 people
11kg + is suitable for 5+ people
The number of programmes your washing machine or washer dryer will vary, but below we have the most common programmes:
- Quick wash / Economy wash - for smaller and lightly soiled clothes to be clean in as quick as 14 minutes.
- Extra rinse / Allergy Care / Baby programme -to remove any excess detergent and pollen or dust mites from your clothes for those that have sensitive skin and may get skin irritation.
- Wool programme / Silk Wash - for your delicate materials using a lower temperature so it won’t shrink or damage your items.
- Cotton wash / Synthetics - a common wash for the most common materials.
- Drain Spin - to get the remaining water out of your clothes after the cycle to speed up the drying process
- Pre Wash - to loosen up dried on marks and dirt on items before a regular cycle.
- Mixed Load - to skip you having to separate your colours and delicate items. The cycle runs on a lower temperature and slower spins so no clothes would get damaged.
- Half load function - for smaller loads, using half the water in half the time of a full load.
- Delicate wash / Hand wash - for a wash with fewer spins so your delicate items don’t break during the cycle
- Sports programme - for heavily soiled sports clothing that require a higher temperature and a greater amount of spins to clean them completely
- Anti crease programme - for less creased clothing, the cycle will have slower spins but still clean the items
Under EU legislation, every new washing machine, tumble dryer and washer dryer must have an energy label showing its energy rating. All our washing machines, tumble dryers and washer dryers are rated in line with the regulations, ranging from C (low efficiency) to A+++ (high efficiency).
You can work out an appliance's annual running costs by multiplying kWh used by 0.1427 (the average national cost of electricity + VAT), however this figure may vary according to how much you pay for your local electricity supply.
For more information please don't hesitate to contact us.View our full range of washing machines here.